Tuesday, July 25, 2006

All About Jackson

Kudos to my friend and law partner, Steve Maroney, for being named Statesman of the Year by the Tennessee Republican Party! It is quite an honor and a well deserved recognition for Steve. He has worked tirelessly for republican causes for many years.

Jackson, Tennessee, is a unique place in many respects and has a lot of history, political and otherwise. This past Sunday Senate Marjority Leader Bill Frist was in town. I wasn't able to attend that event but did attend a fundraiser Sunday evening for my friend Ed Bryant.

The Bill Frist event was held at the home of Bart and Debbie Swift. Debbie is the daughter of the father of rockabilly music, Carl Perkins. Yes, that Carl Perkins. Although born in Mason, Tennessee, Carl Perkins lived most of his life in Jackson.

Another thing most people don't know is that the original Hard Rock Cafe was in Jackson, Tennessee. The Hard Rock was founded by Issac Tigrett. Issac's grandfather founded the GM&O Railroad in Jackson and reared his family here. His grandson, Issac, opened the Hard Rock Cafe in the local mall, then closed it before opening the one in London.

The famed train engineer, Casey Jones lived in Jackson at the time of his death. And the man who created the foundation for the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center was born, reared, educated and began his career in Jackson, Tennessee.

I could go on and on but you get the point. For a small city in West Tennessee, Jackson has a lot of history. I enjoy living here and I like to incorporate it into my novels.

What does all of this have to do with writing fiction? Everything. To create a credible story an author must write about things he/she knows about. I don't know anything about Chicago or Dallas or Seattle but I know a lot about Jackson, TN, (although I'm not a native) and about politics and the law. I hope that makes my novels credible.

Jerome
Sphere: Related Content

1 Comments:

Blogger Crystal Laine said...

My heart is in Tennessee--all of my family from my dad's side is there--so reading this post was like being "home." I look forward to your novels with a Tennessee setting, and I'll be sure to get your book when it comes out. Keep writing!

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home