Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Why Do I Write Christian Fiction?

When friends, family and acquaintances learn that I have written a novel they invariably ask two questions. The first is, "What's your book about?" and the second is "Why Christian fiction?" To answer the first question I give them my silver bullet and direct them to read an excerpt. The second question is a little more difficult to answer.

First, from a pure business standpoint I see the Christian fiction market as a growing market. Publishers Weekly reported in June 2002 that fiction represented bewteen 12% and 15% of adult book sales in Christian stores, up from 4.3% in 1985. And the market is still growing. Just search "Christian fiction" in your favorite search engine and/or go to your local bookstore.

The second reason is that I want to convey a message of the impact Christians can have if they see things through a Christian/Biblical worldview. And to convey that message through entertaining stories.

The third reason is family. My mother has been a huge Janette Oke fan for as long as I can remember. And my children love to read. I tell my wife all the time that I have three jobs: My law practice; writing; and coaching youth sports. Although I get paid for the first (and hopefully someday for the second!), I enjoy my third job the best. Our older son (and middle child) is still playing baseball. His all-star team plays tonight to see if they advance to the state tournament. I told him last night that it is a "no lose" situation. If they win, they play for a state championship. If they get beat, we go on vacation! Family is important to me.

So why do I write Christian fiction as opposed to ABA fiction? The main reason is family. I want to write stories that I would be proud for my mother or for my children to read.
Sphere: Related Content

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home