Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Should Pro-Lifers Support Democrats?

Robert (Robbie) P. George has a juris doctor degree and a doctorate in philosophy. He is the McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence and Director of the James Madison Program in American Ideals and Institutions at Princeton. To say that he is a very intelligent man would be an understatement. He is the author of numerous books (I have an autographed copy of one in my bookcase -- The Clash of Orthodoxies and, self-servingly, I sent him a copy of my recently released novel, The Election, in hopes he might mention it sometime) and I have heard him speak on a couple of occasions. He sits on the President's Council on Bioethics. His views are sought often on issues of morality and ethics. When he speaks, people sit up and listen. That's why I thought an article written by him that was published yesterday was interesting.

Can -- or more accurately should -- pro-life Christians (are there any Christians who are not pro-life?) be members of or affiliated with the democratic party. I think Professor George succinctly addressed that question and gave an unqualified answer -- No.

Until the democratic party changes some planks in its platform -- particulary the pro-choice plank -- how can any God-fearing Christian be associated with it? I think Professor George is right on target with his assessment.

Jerome
Sphere: Related Content

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I agree with George on the issue of abortion, I must disagree that the Democrats otherwise have "the little guy in mind." The protectionist economic policies of that party smack of the same policies that launched this nation into the Great Depression. Their continuous taxation on success is the polar opposite of what a free country is supposed to represent. While abortion is at the top of my list for opposing the Democratic party, the list is much longer than that issue alone.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home